As gifted students it is vital to consistently challenge ourselves so that we do not become complacent. Challenges stretch our thinking, push us out of our comfort zones, and often require us to take positive risks. When we take on challenges, we are essentially saying that we refuse to fall into the unmotivated, underachieving category of gifted students. Instead, we choose to fulfill our potential…and reach for the stars!
The following are EXTRA OPPORTUNITIES available for students that want to shoot for the moon, rise to the challenge, stretch their thinking, share their creativity, take a positive risk, or just want to see what happens when they put themselves out there…
Creative Communication Poetry and Essay Contest
- Click here if you are interested in learning about the Poetry Contest. Winning poems are published in a hard-bound anthology.
- Fall Deadline: December 9, 2010
- Spring Deadline: April 12, 2011
- Summer Deadline: August 17, 2011
- Click here if you are interested in learning about the Essay Contest. Winning essays are published in a hard-bound anthology.
- Spring Deadline: February 17, 2011
- Summer Deadline: July 14, 2011
- Fall Deadline: October 19, 2011
Scholastic Kids Are Authors Contest
- Click here to learn more… This contest requires you to work with one or two friends to write and illustrate a book. I am willing to be your project coordinator!
- Deadline: March 15, 2011
Weekly Reader’s Student Publishing Contest
- Click here to read about this awesome opportunity for student journalists interested in writing non-fiction.
- Entries must be student writing produced between January 1, 2010, and February 28, 2011. Entries must be submitted by March 18, 2011.
Contribute to Creative Kids Magazine
- Click here to read the guidelines if you’re interested in submitting your writing or art for possible publication in Creative Kids magazine.
Toshiba/NSTA ExploraVision Contest
- Click here to discover how you can use your creative problem solving skills to envision technologies of the future.
- Deadline: Entries must be received by February 2, 2011
Play With Your Pears Kids’ Art Contest
- Click here to see how you can use your “creative juices” to win a $1000 gift certificate from SmileMakers, Inc.
- Deadline: November 30, 2010